Sterling silver jewelry is synonymous with class and style globally of fashion. Its versatility and flexibility make it a welcome and helpful addition to any person’s wardrobe. Sterling silver jewelry epitomizes classic simplicity in itself, but as the setting for gemstones or combined with other precious metals, the aesthetic value it lends to the wearer is inestimable.
Pure silver on its own is too soft and would not be practical for jewelry and different decorative objects. Silver is made when another metal, such as copper, is added to the silver to make it hardy and tough. So while it is not as robust as stainless steel, sterling silver jewelry is nevertheless very durable and extensive. That is why a wide array of rings, necklaces, bracelets, cuff links, belt buckles, body jewelry and more are manufactured from silver.
All sterling silver jewelry is marked as such, and often times the name of the designer or manufacturer is engraved on the piece. It is an extremely reflective precious metal whose simple yet elegant look is appreciated by both the old and young, the famous and not-so-famous. Some celebrities adorned with sterling silver jewelry on television or in magazines include actresses Gwyneth Paltrow and Kristin Davis, musician Sheryl Crow, and hotel heiress and budding thespian Paris Hilton.
Certain maintenance measures need to be taken to care for sterling silver jewelry. To avoid unsightly tarnishing, it should be washed with water and a mild detergent after it is worn, and since it is softer than some other precious metals, abrasion and shock to the piece ought to be prevented to avoid scratching or marring its surface. In the occasion that tarnishing does happen, sterling silver jewelry may be polished to bring back it to its former sheen.
Whether your dress of choice be casual jeans, practical office attire or a slinky, little black dress for an evening out on the town, silver jewelry is the perfect accessory. It adapts easily to all fashion trends without sacrificing the wearer’s personal sense of style. Its allure remains undiminished as it continues to evoke the idea of simple luxury.
Genuine handcrafted silver jewelry is as beautiful as it is unique. Whether you’re looking for pieces to include to your collection or are trying to find gifts, that are good online sources for handmade earrings, pendants, rings, barrettes, and necklaces. For a marvelous buying experience, follow these five tips.
1. Find a reputable source. This may go without saying, but don’t confuse commercially manufactured jewelry with handcrafted silver jewelry. The latter is produced by artisans that take great pride in their work. It’s useful to search for a company that has been in business for decades, and that has been selling online for at least five years.
2. Take benefit of customization. When jewelry is handmade, it may be personalized in any number of ways, from the lengths of chains to the kinds of gemstones employed in pendants and rings. You don’t need to settle for "almost good enough." Instead, you can get the piece you’ve always dreamed of, in precisely the right size.
3. Measure carefully. Because personalized pieces by and large aren’t returnable, it’s important to ensure that the handcrafted silver jewelry you order will fit. It only takes a few minutes to receive a good measurement, and doing so will ensure that the necklace or ring you order will be precisely what you want. For rings, ask a pal to take a piece of string, put it around the knuckle or largest part of your finger, and mark the string. To work out the size, grasp the string against a tape measure and compare your measurement to the website’s sizing chart. If you are between sizes, it’s best to go with the larger size. You can also use string to measure for bracelet, necklace, or anklet lengths.
4. Do your gemstone research. The best online jewelry sites have a wealth of details on gemstones. Before you order, read up on the gemstones you are considering. It’s know, as an example, that aquamarine can be cleaned with dishwashing detergent, but that ultrasonic and steam cleaning may damage the stone. Likewise, you may recognize that pearls are fragile and can simply absorb liquids, but you may not realize that turquoise is in addition porous and can easily become stained.
If you will order jewelry with gemstones, it is likewise crucial to know whether the stones are natural or if their colors have been enhanced. Respectable artisans will freely share this facts. Don’t be alarmed, yet, if the stones have been heated or irradiated to intensify or change their colors. Naturally colored rubies, sapphires, and topaz, as an example, are extraordinarily rare; it is an accepted practice within the jewelry industry to enhance gemstone colors.
5. Invest in the real thing. Silver jewelry is gorgeous, but given that it’s real silver. Make certain that the online source you select uses either silver (.925 or 92.5 percent silver) or fine silver (99.9 percent pure silver). When you put money into handcrafted silver jewelry, you’re not only buying a piece you will treasure, but one that is likely to become an heirloom for future generations.